Although our school building has closed due to COVID-19, our learning has not stopped. We are using Google Classroom to provide students with videos of their teachers reading stories and activities to continue developing their skills and knowledge. Students are their on our school app and we can see what their friends are doing. With God's guidance and and grace, we are staying connected and supporting each other through this difficult time. HOLY CROSS LUTHERAN Preschool
For inquires about our school during this time of closure, please call Preschool Director, Darlene Birk, at 636-849-4376 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for 2020-21 School Year
We view our preschool program as a Christian outreach to families with young children. Our intent is to support, encourage and provide opportunities that enhance the educational process already present in your home. Our program provides an environment where young children can explore and learn about God, themselves, others, and the world around them in an atmosphere of Christian love and acceptance.
We accomplish this by:
• Having a Preschool Director/Teacher that has a Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education and Preschool Teachers with Education degrees.
• Providing early Christian training and instruction.
• Assisting in the gradual adjustment between home and school.
• Developing social skills necessary for each child to become confident and secure in our ever-changing world.
• Broadening each child’s interests opening many doors of learning.
• Preparing each child with academic skills for future learning success.
• Communicating with parents through monthly calendars, weekly newsletters and our Bloomz communication app.
• Providing assessments through developmental portfolios, progress reports and parent teacher conferences.
• Exceeding yearly State inspections for Sanitation, Fire and Section for Child Care Regulation Health and Safety.
Preschool Core Curriculum
The Preschool program prepares students for Kindergarten and beyond by providing a balanced schedule of planned activities and play which develop the Missouri Early Learning Standards of Literacy, Science, Mathematics, Physical Development, Social/Emotional skills and Spiritual Development. Small group activities meet individual needs and large group time encourages social interaction and cooperation. Learning centers build skills which lay the foundation for future reading and academic interests. This core curriculum is taught during the Preschool class time for 4 year old students on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. or 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. and for the 3 year old students on Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Once a Preschool class time is chosen, families may add times of Extended Education Mondays through Fridays 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Students have a structured schedule where they participate in activities to reinforce and enhance the Preschool Curriculum including stories, art, centers, computer and games. Large motor activities are outside or in the gym. Students staying for lunch bring their own sack lunch. By splitting the day this way, students are given the opportunity to work with a greater variety of materials, teachers and friends.
A portfolio is a meaningful collection of a child’s work that shows their progress and accomplishments throughout the year in the areas of Name, Self Portrait, Scissor Skills, English Language Arts, Mathematical Thinking, Science Experiences, Social Skills, Spiritual Development and Oral Language Development. Assessments are done regularly and a formal developmental progress report and portfolio will be shared with parents at the semester parent teacher conference and sent home at the end of the school year.
Because we are located in the Fort Zumwalt School District, we follow the Fort Zumwalt calendar for holidays. See the Parent Page for our yearly calendar.